Writing for Bliss: A Seven-Step Plan for Telling Your Story and Transforming Your Life - Diana Raab

I wrote all the time as a child. I wrote poetry and journal entries, short stories, even songs. I wrote all through my teenage years and while I was pregnant, and then when I had my second child I stopped. I was very busy and I somehow didn’t have time for reading and writing and life became very difficult.

Later, when I began home schooling, I found more time for reading again. In the early hours of the morning when other mums were busy with the school rush, I had a few moments to myself and life got a little easier. But it was only when I started writing again, journaling again and even blogging, that things turned around and I began to really get myself together. But now I am stuck in a kind of rut, with lots of ideas and many unfinished manuscripts. I’m finding it hard to prioritise writing when I have work, study, family duties and (let’s face it) the distracting Internet.

The book “Writing for Bliss” was just the book I needed to shake things up a bit. Whether you have never written before, are a sometimes writer, or you just feel stuck like me, then this book can help.

Partly autobiographical and partly self-help this book provides lots of advice:

I like to mention what Zen master Shunryu Suziki referred to in his book, Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind (1976), as maintaining the sensibility of the “beginner’s mind.” The idea is that the beginner’s mind tends to be open to many possibilities, unlike the expert’s mind, which only sees few.

It also provides practical tips such as:

One rule about writing is that if you want to be a writer, you need to be a reader.

And:

Writers need privacy and solitude to tap into their creative selves.

And writing prompts, to get you started:

Writing Prompt 2:7 – Exploring a Vivid Dream
On another occasion, recall a vivid dream. Describe in detail the images in it. Note the feelings you associate with the dream. What does the dream remind you of in your present or past circumstances?

Using a combination of psychology and creative writing techniques, Diana Raab leads the reader through a journey of therapeutic artistic pursuit. This is the perfect companion to the Art Therapy I have been doing, because it uses similar principles, but encourages my need to create using words.

There is so much great advice about visualization and getting past those creative blocks. Sometimes there are things in our life that are difficult to write about, but you know Raab has been there, and can help guide you through. Furthermore, it is backed by Raab’s own research into the transformative power of writing one’s memoirs.

As I begin to get unstuck using these ideas, I know as I continue my manuscripts that I will return again and again to this powerful guide for advice. It also includes a handy Index and Bibliography.

I received this book to review through Beck Valley Books Book Tours, I have volunteered to share my review and all the opinions are 100% my own.

Continue to my main blog for author details and a giveaway.

Source: http://bookscraftsprettythings.blogspot.com.au/2017/09/writing-for-bliss-diana-raab.html