Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs

As a child, Jacob was told many stories by his grandfather, Abraham. He talked about the peculiar children he knew in a special home run by Miss Peregrine. As Jacob gets older, he doubts his grandfather's stories, until Abraham is killed and with his dying breath he tells Jacob to find the bird in the loop. Jacob sees a strange creature that no-one else can see.

No-one believes Jacob. Thinking he is grief stricken and in shock, his parents send him to therapy with Dr Golan. But, when Jacob's Aunt gives him a book that his grandfather wanted him to have, he finds a letter that just may prove that Abraham wasn't crazy and nether is Jacob.

It took me a while to finish the book because I had some other commitments (and I confess I got a bit hooked on Netflix as well.) I swayed back and forth with this book, and since I watched the movie when I was half finished with the book (something I don't usually do) I think I got sidetracked.
However, the idea of the peculiar children really appealed to me. The photographs in the book were very interesting, and a great idea of Riggs to use as a writing prompt. It brought together two of my loves - archives and reading.

This is a great little book for your young adult or pre-teen. You could even read it together as a family book. It can start a lot of discussions about how people who were different were treated, how they are treated now and how we should move forward.
If you liked Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events, The Spiderwick Chronicles, Coraline, or Frankenstein, I think you will enjoy this book.

Join the conversation at my blog discussing the differences between the book and the film:

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9460487-miss-peregrine-s-home-for-peculiar-children