Filter Shift: How Effective People See the World - Sara Taylor

The way things are going in the world, we really are in need of this book.. It's a simple introduction to the concept that we all see the world through lenses that colour our thinking and communication. Taylor describes how these filters are made up of our upbringing, experiences, and perceptions as well as a natural instinct to categorize and understand the world.

Taylor makes it clear that we all have these biases . However, if we enter a discussion with good intention and the outcome is poor, it is easy to believe that the other person must be at fault and they did not have good intent. I believe that some people can't see their biases, some don't know how to deal with them, and a few don't care. But most people would like to be better people and want to make a difference in how they communicate. Filter Shift gives us some tools to do just that.

Taylor uses acronyms and diagrams to assist the reader in understanding the steps to shifting their own filters. Each chapter has a summary of Key Points that makes it really easy to understand. She uses evidence-based research to develop her arguments, and various case studies to provide real world examples. She is also honest about her own experiences.

Taylor makes some valid points that really appealed to me, including explaining Multiple Valid Realities, and describing how people often associate difference as having a good or bad value. This can lead us to ignoring difference which can be just as bad as using difference to discriminate. I was also happy to see her challenge the' "I''m colorblind" myth.

This book serves as a reminder that our initial responses don't make us a good or bad communicator, but what we do afterwards, evaluating and changing our behaviour that does.

In Cultural Studies we use these techniques to evaluate everything from the media to dominate groups in a culture. It's really interesting to me, to apply this to myself. I am always happy to keep learning.

I received this book through Beck Valley Books Book Tours, I have volunteered to share my review and all the opinions are 100% my own.

Source: http://bookscraftsprettythings.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/filter-shift-how-effective-people-see.html